A look inside the MIT Hobby Shop
In the 1937-38 academic year, Vannevar Bush, then-Vice President of MIT, granted a group of 16 MIT students permission to use a room in the basement of Building 2. Using equipment they found around the Institute, they set up a wood and metal shop in the 16-foot by 22-foot area. The club members chose the name "Hobby Shop" based on their belief in the philosophy that the well rounded individual pursued interests outside his or her profession — hobbies.
Now in its 75th year, we take a look back how the Hobby Shop began, and how it evolved to what it is today.
MIT Hobby Shop: http://studentlife.mit.edu/hobbyshop